• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Flooded Canyon Zone (Summer Version) (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoniKlos

*Insert whacky title here*
Hi everyone, I am creating a map called Flooded Canyon Zone (Summer Version). It is in it's early stages so far, only 5 textures. This is a match/tag map and it will be awesome when completed. I need people to test this to get the general feel of it; no multiplayer spawns yet, just a player 1 start. There are a few things here and there, besides springs, there are a lot of them. I know it's bland, I''l add stuff later. I cannot host a server to test this, my internet does not allow port forwarding.
I am sorry if these pics are bad.
srb20013.png

srb20012.png

srb20011.png

srb20010.png

srb20009.png

srb20008.png

Here is the WAD so anyone can test if they want; remember, no multiplayer starts yet, just a player 1 start.
http://www.mediafire.com/?m5qznlvk5cd

Last edited:
Now this is really early in development; it did take around 3 weeks to make.
The only special things I know how to make are water and Normal FOFs.
I was going to try and use a custom Music, but I do not have an ID tag editor.

Last edited:
It really needs texture variation. It's the same texture on each wall and floor. The ceiling shouldn't stay at a consistent height and get higher or lower. Small little caves would look really nice along the edges of the level. Tiny little gardens near pools of water would be a good idea to do.
I'd recommend making the river a pit (to add to the challenge).

This is just a general texturing for the map; it's in it's earliest stages. I have one cave. Gardens near shalow water was my plan. Making the river a pit is a great idea.
Now if there are any ideas you could give me (besides advice or needed fixes) that would be nice.

Like the ones in arid canyon zone where you have to jump at the rocks in the beggining at the right angle to make it.

Scizor300 said:
Well, to be honest, that is WAY too damn huge to be a match map.
It isn't 'WAY too damn huge', but it is indeed a tad too large. It creates slime trails, and it will become harder to find other players. You could try using the resize tool: I tried resizing it to 75% of it's original size, and it seemed to work quite well.

SpiritCrusher said:
It's a match and tag map, there shouldn't be difficult platforming sections.
Well, it could be handy for defending the SRM, but I agree otherwise.

But yes, it definetly needs more texture variation. I mean, you've got a whole ACZ texture set to use: you might as well take full advantage of it. The music and sky choice don't fit either.
However, I like what I'm seeing there, layout wise.

I like the geography of it, if that makes sense. Perhaps a different choice of sky though, and possibly a little secret here and there. Every little thing helps to make it more interesting :-)

For crying out loud people, This is THE EARLIEST STAGE of the map. I know that I need to change the map a heck of a lot. This is a general idea of the map. Too big? :O Oops. OK, I think I can do that.
The sky is the only one with storm clouds, right? The music is... Bad, yeah.
Changed the music to ACZ2; sky temporarily to ACZ.
Added a few grassy areas, changed the Thok barrier height a bit, added a couple caves, decreased the size of the mpa by 75% (it actually works nicely), Re-added springs, Added small volcanic cave.

Last edited:
I am Scrapping this project, I have already started a solo canyon level. I will post pics of them soon. Admin: Please lock this topic

It does look a little bland, but you've got something. Is the water a death pit? Just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back