• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

NEO Emerald coast (Original stage, based on E.C concepts)

Welp all my problems with it are gone now.
And I’m one step closer to making it a truly great stage. And i’m not even done yet, I plan on making a second act, and a bossfight area. And if everything goes according to plan, a open hub-like bonus act.

I had some stuff done last weekend and I didn't had the time to post it. For now I'm focused on making this stage look more alive and less like a liminal space.
srb20105.png
srb20106.png

I really like this small hangout spot I made, now it's more clear why there's a area that doesn't lead anywhere.
srb20108.png

I added these small fences to tell the tourist (aka the player) that you shouldn't go beyond this point, because it's the end of the tour pathway and there's only raw unexplored jungle left. (If you ignore the man-made traps and a whole area with a bridge)
srb20107.png

And I made the thok barriers higher so there's no wierd "fading water" effect at the edges of the stage, It will make the stage look more closed but atleast it won't look wierd.
srb20078.png

I'm past the jungle area and I started the second sea area. I added decorations and a no-spin route in the ramp in section in the jungle, added more detail and I finally changed the SRB2 music to a custom one! I decided to use Dubious depths (R2) present as I planned in the post earlier.
srb20111.png

And I made a video showcasing all the changes, and you can hear that the music is different, does this track fits this stage?

I'm sure I will use this zone's music (Including all time-zones) for this project because it pretty much fits with the vibe I want to go with.
Unless I find a more fitting track, but at this moment I will go with this one.

I'm past the jungle area and I started the second sea area. I added decorations and a no-spin route in the ramp in section in the jungle, added more detail and I finally changed the SRB2 music to a custom one! I decided to use Dubious depths (R2) present as I planned in the post earlier.
View attachment 117064
And I made a video showcasing all the changes, and you can hear that the music is different, does this track fits this stage?
View attachment 117065
I'm sure I will use this zone's music (Including all time-zones) for this project because it pretty much fits with the vibe I want to go with.
Unless I find a more fitting track, but at this moment I will go with this one.
What a great music pick.

I wanted the section after the jump-pads to have more flow, because when jumping out of a spin-state you retain that heavy steering and you have to lose all your speed or you will fall into the water, so I added a booster that will quickly reorient you while not having to stop your flow, and I redesigned this section to be a small road because the booster would look out of place on a curvy turn, and it looks more man-made.
srb20112.png

It plays much better now without having to stop due to stiff steering.
srb20038.gif

And I changed the vibe of this island for more visual variety. Yes I love to look at enviroments full of plants.
srb20113.png

And I added the ripple effect for all water sources in this stage, but I hope this effect won't mess with the performence because I never actually used it before. (Also imagine that you hear a water ambience because I added it too in this specific location.)
srb20039.gif

And I added such details as:
-Vines hanging from some places for a more alive feel,
-Made the sand paths have more rounded starts/ends,
-And of course more plants.

Suggestion, maybe, put it into OLDC 2024?
Post automatically merged:

I wanted the section after the jump-pads to have more flow, because when jumping out of a spin-state you retain that heavy steering and you have to lose all your speed or you will fall into the water, so I added a booster that will quickly reorient you while not having to stop your flow, and I redesigned this section to be a small road because the booster would look out of place on a curvy turn, and it looks more man-made.
View attachment 117206
It plays much better now without having to stop due to stiff steering.
View attachment 117208
And I changed the vibe of this island for more visual variety. Yes I love to look at enviroments full of plants.
View attachment 117207
And I added the ripple effect for all water sources in this stage, but I hope this effect won't mess with the performence because I never actually used it before. (Also imagine that you hear a water ambience because I added it too in this specific location.)
View attachment 117209
And I added such details as:
-Vines hanging from some places for a more alive feel,
-Made the sand paths have more rounded starts/ends,
-And of course more plants.
Cool that you added ripple effects and made it more polished.

Suggestion, maybe, put it into OLDC 2024?
I had a random "what if" thought about it but first of all I don't really know a lot about OLDC's and second, I don't even know when It takes place and when the deadline is due. But I could submit the first act and then finish the rest at my own pace, it could even be a some kind of promo material for this addon. And I always thought about OLDC as a moment when the best level designers put thier extremly high quality maps at a level of the vanilla SRB2 campaign, so it always kinda drew me away from joining it, and I'm kinda nervous about reciving way too much criticism so there's that too, but maybe it will change someday.

you can read the OLDC info stuff in the OLDC section to learn more, the deadline right now is may 1st and technically the submissions take place all year round at least from what i can gather. you also have two chances every year to be in an OLDC since they are held twice a year so you got time!

you can read the OLDC info stuff in the OLDC section to learn more, the deadline right now is may 1st and technically the submissions take place all year round at least from what i can gather. you also have two chances every year to be in an OLDC since they are held twice a year so you got time!
I feel that I won't be able to finish it on time, and I don't want to rush it because it would half-baked or it would lack some things I want to add.
And I don't want to crunch either because:
1.It's pretty unhealthy for me (watch the release of the "full" act 1 for example)
2.Since the school year is ending I want to lock in until final grades are set.
3.I have final exams between 14-16 may, so yea... I wanna lock in on this too.
And it would be kinda odd to wait to another OLDC round only to add this stage, and then release the full pack right after.
But it could be kinda fun to participate though.

Now you can swim in completely not abandoned and perfectly safe to swim pool! (ignore the fact that kelp started growing inside the pool, and the mechanical piranhas). Honestly I want to add a bit more Vaporwave-like imagery in this stage, mainly on the tropical side of this aesthetic,
it's really specific vibe that you just need to see to understand.
srb20077.png

Made a major overhaul to the lake section, and made it less depressing (no more completely dead dry lake without any life)
srb20078.jpg

I need to start using jpg's man, this image originally had 3 megabytes of size :/
==========
I downloaded Vibrant Vanilla Palette by Cobaltn't, and I really like how this stage looks with this palette and I'm wondering if I should use it in this stage. I made small comparasion with and without the palatte.
With VibrantPal:
srb20104.png

Without VibrantPal:
srb20106.png

What do you think? Should I use it?
==========
And I made a small wallpaper of this stage that you can use on your PC, because I had the WINXP wallpaper for far too long...
srb20076.png

I was kinda busy this week with tests but I'm finally done with all the hard ones. This time it's a bit smaller update.
====================
I was thinking how to make this mechanic more clear for players to understand, so at first I wanted to make this slope a normal ramp instead but It looked too odd and not aesthetically pleasing, so I made a sign with a small tutorial for this trick so players won't think this section is not working as it should. (I even added the detail of the nail shattering the rock around it :>)
srb20107.png

I got side-tracked and I made this big flower pot.
srb20108.jpg

This palm is a placeholder for a custom object I want to make, but it will propably be kinda hard to make sprites for it.
2 years ago I made a concept for special a plant for sonic cd, it's a big flower that's a mix of a sunflower and a dandelion, mainly because the main mechanic of this plant is that sonic would ran past it at high speeds which would result in the small seeds detaching from the head of the plant, and when the seeds finally land on the ground they instantly grow into a flower the same way the seeds from badniks do.
I made a whole page of concepts for how it looks back then, but sadly I lost it somewhere in my room, but there's still some digital concepts left but it's still extremly unfinished. (I'm sure if I'm going to actually add it, but I hopefully will.)
A-2.png

This is propably past me trying to make a accurate sprite for it, the numbers are versions of the sprite (I guess, it was 2 years ago :/)
Concept_0.png

How the flower would look in all time zones, the small star flower is the past version, the one in the middle is present, the one next to it is the BF variant and the one at the top is the GF variant. (and a dead one... I don't remember why It's there nor what it meant in game)
The small blue and yellow thingies around the head are the seeds with these small fluffy parachutes...
====================
UPDATE: I just remembered that I made an effort to redesign it, and this is how it looks:
AADA5331-326-E-4-E63-8-A82-BB79-ED4017-C7.jpg

Now you can see the resemblance between a dandelion, I literally based it of the pictures of real life ones.
I don't have a clue how to make the seeds look good in pixel art, so that's my main worry with it.

I decided to make a sprite for this flower I was talking about earlier, and it looks like this at the moment:
Idk_what_ name_I_should_give_to_this_flower.png

And I have a small problem, I don't have clue how to make these small fuzzy parachutes that dandelion seeds have, but I made a small mock up of how it could look like:
Floof test.png

I'm not a fan of how it looks, it doesn't have this fuzzy texture I want, but I made this without any effort so it maybe could look good if I do it right. (This is absolutely not a cry for help *wink wink*)
====================
This is how the sprite looks in-game (It's an early version tho)
srb20112.jpg

I finally added thok barriers and water to this section, after a long time of adding depth and detail I'm starting to get really close to finishing this stage after almost 2 months (Yipee!)
srb20108.jpg

I love jpg's, I finally don't have to worry that only one screenshot is like 4-3 mb's of size. You can't even notice the compression due to pixel art nature of this game.

I decided to make a sprite for this flower I was talking about earlier, and it looks like this at the moment:
View attachment 118022
And I have a small problem, I don't have clue how to make these small fuzzy parachutes that dandelion seeds have, but I made a small mock up of how it could look like:
View attachment 118023
I'm not a fan of how it looks, it doesn't have this fuzzy texture I want, but I made this without any effort so it maybe could look good if I do it right.
====================
This is how the sprite looks in-game (It's an early version tho)
View attachment 118024
I finally added thok barriers and water to this section, after a long time of adding depth and detail I'm starting to get really close to finishing this stage after almost 2 months (Yipee!)
View attachment 118026
I love jpg's, I finally don't have to worry that only one screenshot is like 4-3 mb's of size. You can't even notice the compression due to pixel art nature of this game.
Lookin' good!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back