Adding an Existing Custom Ability to an Existing Custom Character

sy1vi3

Hello!
I'm making my first post on the forum to ask for some help with a little project I've gotten myself into.

Basically, I want to play the game using a Blaze model (along with the custom menu image, etc. provided by .Luke's Blaze The Cat,) and also a custom ability, namely Rebound Dash.

The way I've done this is by simply changing the "local rbdskin =" parameter in the Rebound Dash .lua file from "sonic" to "blaze", which works almost perfectly. The ability physically works as intended, it uses the rebound dash sound effects and everything, the only issue is that it can't find the sprites that are meant to be used during the dash animation and following contact with a wall. After using the ability for the first time in a level, Blaze no longer has her typical spin animation when jumping, she just turns into the SPR_UNKN warning symbol.

I've attached a .gif of a little gameplay sample to give you a good idea of what I'm struggling with. I'm pretty happy with my progress here but I just can't seem to get over this hurdle.
[If the .gif doesn't work I'll link it through Tenor here]

I've tried quite a few things, including (attempting to) change the sprite that is called to when the player enters the "rebound" state, which I did in the Rebound Dash .lua file. This didn't work, and neither did just trying to replace Sonic with Blaze entirely (I would either end up with a blue Blaze that I couldn't recolour for the life of me, or an otherwise perfect Blaze with the ability, but the menus would still say Sonic and show his picture.)

I'll be so very deeply happy if you can come up with any way of fixing this, I don't care if it effectively removes Sonic from the game, but I would prefer if I could just have the Rebound Dash .lua file point to Blaze's regular jump/spin sprites.

I'm on Linux Mint Debian Edition 6 btw!

ty for reading
-sy1vi3 :3c

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back