Is SRB2 a Sonic X-treme recreation?

X-treme probably was an influence, though I can't say for sure. However the game is original, and not an outright recreation of anything.

I only thought about it after someone told that sonic's sprites we're based off Sonic X-treme
I also remember the metal boss fight.

I forgot what thread it was though
The earliest public demos of SRB2's 3D incarnations (after the TGF-based 2D concept was abandoned) used Sonic Xtreme's Sonic sprites as placeholders. When SSNTails and co. created the first (used) custom sprites for Sonic, they heavily referenced those Xtreme sprites. However, all of those sprites were totally replaced in version 2.2.0.

While it is true that SRB2's pre-2.2 Sonic sprites were traced versions of the X-Treme sprites, just because the two games share a couple aspects doesn't mean SRB2 is an X-Treme recreation. If it was it would be more faithful, as in having the zones from the game along with the playstyle.

I'm of the belief that SRB2 is a Genesis-era fangame that was made into 3D using the Doom Legacy engine (an GPL engine by the way) after many changes to its source code. Heck, there's even a Genesis rom for SRB2.

Never heard about this.
I think every SRB2 fan needs to know one or two parts about its history and how it developed over time into what we now have. And here,its no exception.

Sonic's placeholder sprites were used as far as those early SRB2 3D demos(im saying 3D because of SRB2TGF which was in 2D) aka Halloween and Christmas Demos. That version of Sonic is now ported to 2.2 with other classic Demo characters like Megaman and Invader Zim in SRB2 The Past as an additional downloadable folder containing the Pk3s of them.

I don't believe SRB2 ever had any basis in X-treme. The original dev duo will have to confirm themselves, but given that development began around 1998, it was probably influenced the most by SA1 and its promo material, although certainly the Genesis trilogy was a heavy inspiration as well.

Regardless of SRB2's origins, the present development team has no interest in turning SRB2 into an X-treme recreation. We all have our own ideas about game mechanics, graphics, and environments that we would rather implement instead. You could argue that some things in SRB2 reference X-treme, but we don't think much (if at all) about X-treme when developing these days.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back