Late OLDC 2022 Round 1 Vote

Thorgeirn

In order of voting preference, played as regular old Sonic, in 3D.

Foliage Furnace Act 2:
Some levels just incite a completely unique feeling, somewhere between nostalgia and wonder. This one does it, just as it did in Act 1. I Adore the music and the theme overall. Top choice, mostly due to aesthetics, music and being a decent level overall.

Spiral Hill Pizza:
Ok I may get hate for this but it was just fun. I like having a unique objective wedged in my OLDC sometimes. Also I thought the music was pretty good. A lot of detail was put in the level and it shows. I also wish the mission would cycle around and make the delivery locations change, or add completely new ones. It only took me two tries and I was effectively done.

Tarnish Ward Zone:
These next few levels are at sort of a tie. But this level stuck out simply because the design was unique and the hunt was challenging enough to keep me engaged. A grittier theme in sonic games is something I've always wanted to see implemented more often, in a tasteful way. I would improve by making the music a little more engaging, and perhaps just honing in on less blocky geometry.

Festung oder so:
I thoroughly enjoyed this level. Its here at this spot because of the way it looks. Its simple, yet fun to zip around the level and complete it in time. I only wish there were more objectives, like in Spiral Hill Pizza.

Yearning Yachtyard Zone:
This zone was clearly going for a more chill vibe, with platforming not being too hard but also without insulting you. I did also enjoy the music and theme, albeit slightly bland. This level was a warm welcome coming from levels like Egg Machine Zone. Just maybe make the level a bit less blocky, and add some foliage for life.

Enchanted Enclave:
Personally, I didnt dislike this map but I didnt care for it much either. The art and music were fine, but the collectothon objectives are a little too monotonous for me. Otherwise pleasing. The flaw is inherit in its design so thats sort of my only gripe.

Magma Laboratory:
Another level I dont hate, but doesnt have a theme unique enough to wow me. I do appreciate the custom music (I think). The platforming and level layout was actually decent as well. This boils down to memorability for me and this one just doesnt stick well in my brain.

SunkSea X Zone:
Let me tell you I always enjoy when people mix their own music for their stages. I think its custom anyway....I dont hate this level but it almost feels like im just going through the motions. I can generally get to the end without too much trouble. The theme is ok being a sunken ruin water deal, but the colors feel forced together.

Freezer Folley Zone:
This one falls in the same boat as Magma Laboratory. The theme was clearly stated with icecream, frozen foods and jello to bounce on. It was fun enough to keep me engaged, but I got bored of the icecream stuff everywhere rather quickly. The platforming was fun, but minus points for taking Sonic colors music imo.

Bitter Brink Zone:
Super rad extra bonus points for making a sled section, something super unique and I havent seen before. I think it was poorly implemented, with it being entirely on flat ground and also terrible to steer. The rest of the level was ok as well, just quick and also death water. Not too frustrating personally but also, instant death water everywhere. Nuff said

Chaos Cove Zone:
This was just a short, quick and easy emerald hunt. I do like emerald hunt maps, but this map was a bit too small and easy to navigate. I was done in about a minute, thirty seconds.

Egg Machine Zone:
I REALLY wanted to like this level. I loved the themes and the music, and at first the challenge was fine. Then came the part when I needed to pick a route. Both werent fun to consider. I dont mind challenging platforming, but that was unfair platforming. The pink fluid sections had to be memorized, because one hit and you would lose control over your character for a good 10 seconds. Same as the white cloud section. If I didnt have to spend so much time avoiding spikes in the goo, or figure out how to maintain my momentum in the cloud section, Id rank this higher. As it stands though it seems like the ideas you had werent thought through in the context of SRB2.

Hell Coaster Zone:
I generally dont like being forced into side scrolling sections in this game, and you turned it into absolute hate. Sorry to say but this was so frustratingly unfun, that I didnt want to finish it at first. IMO, srb2 physics dont feel good when playing side scroll. Then I have to navigate some absolutely unfun and overly deadly 2d in this zone. No hate on creating maps, something I dont have the time or attention to do. So cudos there.

Zaxel's Thunder Yard Zone, Act 2:
Man, what are you doing? I give major props for the effort, but for an Act 2, it felt nearly identical to the first one. Except the first one came first, so I had less to gripe about its uniqueness. I dont care about the challenge, the level itself just feels like a slog. I am not a fan of the color pallet, and overall just felt like you picked a direction and ran with it, never looking back. Sorry but this level is last mainly due to it just running together and seeming way too similar to Act 1. I played the other OLDCs and the split castle was a decent idea. Most of your levels are clearly flavored and easily identifiable as you being the creator. However again, Act 2 here was just a miss.

If you read, thanks for listening to me berate people that make maps for my enjoyment. Dont take it the wrong way, I will NEVER not play the OLDC and have a grand old time with SRB2. So thanks to all the creators involved for allowing me to always come back and have something to do. I understand these wont be counted either and thats fine.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back