Reusability, Ports, and Author's Returns

idk if it said anything about this in the post but what if you wanna port sonething from a ded user AKA inactive user like Jman?
So long as you follow the soon to be published port rules, you should be fine.

What if an old map uses a thing type or texture in which a newer version is available? Would we have to port the old type or could we just replace it with the newer version?
It should be faithful, so using the old texture would be the correct call.
Post automatically merged:

what would this mean for the users who got banned for porting such as sonic1983 etc
That's up to the moderators, I'm just a judge.

So long as you follow the soon to be published port rules, you should be fine.

It should be faithful, so using the old texture would be the correct call.
Post automatically merged:

That's up to the moderators, I'm just a judge.
What about old rings? Would I have to use those or could i use the 2.2 rings?

What about old rings? Would I have to use those or could i use the 2.2 rings?
Yeah as Pikaspoop said. In general the porting standard should be "Make the thing work in the newer version of the thing". Common objects like rings and powerup along with, imo, the final demo era enemies should be fine in general to keep.

That said SRB2 The Past has like literally every base game resource from every srb2 version you'd ever need if you need it.

Personally I feel like if someone were to port a pre 2.0 match/ctf level for whatever reason using the open assets that bring back the older weapon ring system should be encouraged imo.
wouldn't the old ring system be better as its own addon?

It already is it's own addon, I wasn't sure how it worked exactly but after reading it seems ot just ignore any weapon ammo placed by default so there isn't as much issue as I thought might happen so nevermind. It would work better to just recommend to use that addon for the intended original experience than including it.

Yeah it's used in SRB2 The Past for exactly what I spoke about in simulating the older gameplay of match/ctf in the final demo era.

Would something like making new code and not editing the existing one be a port? For example you make code from the ground up and just base the code off how the original mod functions.

Would something like making new code and not editing the existing one be a port? For example you make code from the ground up and just base the code off how the original mod functions.
I think not, because such a case has already happened

The only reason you'd make new code if the old code was outright broken or coded so badly to be unplayable. It's preferred to keep any new content to a minimum to make it function as intended generally to avoid issues that can emerge. Of course code optimization and the like would be fine assuming the end result is the same for how the mod functions.

Cool, so many neat mods have been made that are kinda just stuck in inferior and buggy versions of the game so this will be good to finally be able to play them in a much more comfortable way.

i still want to know if this new rule applies to srb2kart just in case (i really dont wanna get banned)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 1, Guests: 2)

Back