We're in danger!

Broboi698

https://www.youtube.com/@BB698OFFICIAL
What is causing this you may ask? Well, it's Denuvo™️. Denuvo is a company owned by Irdeto, it's supposed to protect games from anti-piracy and is supported by the most popular game companies, including Sega. But they're mostly hated, Why? Because their security can be easily bypassed. But mainly: Trying to stop modding from thriving in the gaming community. And our community has been kept alive by mods, plus. We're a fan game, so we might be in danger. (please reply if you want to add to this or have an argument)

What is causing this you may ask? Well, it's Denuvo™️. Denuvo is a company owned by Irdeto, it's supposed to protect games from anti-piracy and is supported by the most popular game companies, including Sega. But they're mostly hated, Why? Because their security can be easily bypassed. But mainly: Trying to stop modding from thriving in the gaming community. And our community has been kept alive by mods, plus. We're a fan game, so we might be in danger. (please reply if you want to add to this or have an argument)
i dont think srb2 is in danger even if modding for official sonic games stop, i doubt that sega would pull a nintendo and curb stop all the fangames. sonic fangames have been around since the 90's and sega never took action against them, i dont think they would start now.
(sorry for the bad writing being sick made me very lazy)

How does this affect us at all?

SEGA has been chill with fan games for a ling time, so no chance of them taking down the game (Nintendo could, but the devs can just remove anything from Mario), and it's not like Denuvo will put itself into SRB2, the game is free, so no anti-piracy required.

Anti-piracy measures are only really for actual games.
Free fangames don't really need it.
Plus, Denuvo doesn't just appear in games. It has to be added in by the developer. (It's not like it has a version compatible with the Doom engine anyway)

You also said it yourself. Their security can be bypassed. Superstars and Frontiers have Denuvo, yet there's tons of mods for them.
hOw CaN tHaT bE?!?!?

There is no reason for a FOSS game to employ the latest anti-piracy measures (because by nature it is not possible to pirate such a title).

Then there is the fact that Denuvo integration would likely violate the GPL license anyway, and anti-piracy and the allowing of fangames are not exactly tied together.

How exactly would you put always-online DRM in an open source game anyway?

No really, DRM is supposed to stop people from editing the files and bypassing legitimacy checks. Why the heck would you put that in a game whose source code is freely modifiable by everyone? How would that even work?

Yea no I highly doubt we're in any danger.

I hate Denuvo (I think any reasonable person does.) But good god does this whole anti modding stance hurt games more than anything.

OP seems to believe that Denuvo are ideological crusaders who want to wipe out all modding everywhere. But that's not true at all, they're just a business that offers anti-cheat and anti-piracy functions to companies that buy their services.

In no way will they be trying to kill SRB2.

It's fine the way it is for SRB2, Denuvo will slow the game down and have long loading times anyways we don't need Denuvo and anti piracy.
That the game is under the GPL license should be the biggest hint that it won't come to SRB2. The license states that access to the source cannot be obfuscated or blocked in any way, shape or form. It also does not allow anything more than minimal, surface-level integrations and/or communication with closed-source applications or API's (so that means no Denuvo).

My bro thinks Denuvo is a contagious parasite, that infects beloved open-sourced free games with the dreaded anti-tamper and always-online DRM, lol :wow:

For real, though, like others above me said, you have absolutely zero reasons to worry about SRB2. The game is managed and developed by a community of volunteer hobbyists, who (as the closing message says ingame) makes no profit with the game whatsoever, thus eliminating any need for any DRM, any anti-tamper, etc.
And also like others said, it's not a virus or some weird thing that infects games. Developers need to add the technology into their game for it to function, and obviously the SRB2 devs won't, because of what i described above.

someone NEEDS to get denuvo to shut themselves down by revealing the truth that they just want modding to be nonexistent

also im gettin impatient for 2.2.14 and oldc 2023 round 2

someone NEEDS to get denuvo to shut themselves down by revealing the truth that they just want modding to be nonexistent

also im gettin impatient for 2.2.14 and oldc 2023 round 2
That's not how corporations work. Everyone already knows Denuvo hurts modding. It is still a massively successful company, and "exposing the truth" won't change anything about that.

Fuck Denuvo. Not only is it easily bypassable, but they don't even TRY to fix their systems. Not only that, but they deleted my mods for a Sonic 2 ROM. D:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back